Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Strawberry Grapefruit Jam

When posed with the question of what to do with the abundant amount of grapefruit covering the tree I decided to try making some kind of marmalade. It was when searching for a recipe that didn't look too complicated that I came across a couple of stores that sell strawberry grapefuit jam. Being the curious type I wondered what that would taste like? Are those really two fruits that belong together in a jar?

So, after repressing the urge to go to the store in the middle of the night I decided that I had to find out.

Armed with a couple quarts of strawberries, an armload of freshly picked grapefruit, and some sugar I began cooking. Deciding that measurements weren't really that important the chopping began. Then came the part that my impatient heart had trouble with, waiting for it to cook down to a delicious ruby goo.
The result of all of that waiting you ask? A gorgeous color with an indescrible taste. Its not really strawberry and its not really grapefruit. Out of two different fruits came something that is sweet and tart and utterly delicious! It seems almost a crime to use the mundane word "jam" in its title. The possibilities seem almost endless. Why only use this delight on toast or biscuits when you could warm it and put it over ice cream?

 

1 comment:

  1. This looks good! I love grapefruit marmalade, so I'm sure this would rate right up there with it.

    ReplyDelete